Sunday, March 7, 2010

Meadowlands Take Two

Thanks to my parents, I had another great opportunity to bird the NJ Meadowlands. I was hoping for some interesting ducks and raptors and a surprise appearance by Mr. Shrike. It was a beautiful day, but it was a bit windy, making far-off ducks difficult to locate and identify. However, I did got my lifer Northern Pintail, a stunning drake. There were also around 100 Canvasback, and there may have been Redhead mixed in (?), but I could not tell really. Also a couple Bufflehead, 4 Black Duck, and a few Gadwall.
Mr. Shrike, however, refused to cooperate. Well, he better come back to the Meadowlands next winter, or else! As we were looking for the shrike, we had 2 flyover Killdeer, an embarrassing lifer for me, kill-deaahing. That's another sign of spring! Thanks for Mr. Wright of the NJ Meadowlands Commission and Mr. Torino of the Audubon for coordinating great bird walks!
Other stuff:
Possible Ruddy Duck
Mallard
Canada Goose
American Robin
White-throated Sparrow
Common Grackle
Possible White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Mockingbird
Mourning Dove
Great Black-backed Gull
Downy Woodpecker

Good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment