Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Garret Mountain--5/12

In a place like Garret Mountain, one of the top migrant traps in the East, almost every day in May is a good day birding-wise. Even today, when I went on my annual trip there, it was quite good, even though it was raining and we had zero sunshine. Our binoculars were fogged up, some birds had to be dismissed as LSJs (little silhouette jobs), and our teeth were chattering, but we still had some great birds. Although the park probably would have exploded with birds had it not been so crummy outside last night and this morning, we nonetheless had great looks at Magnolias, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, and WIlson's Warblers and a probable Canada Warbler. Also, Swainson's Thrush was everywhere, and we had 1 Gray-cheeked! In all, we saw/heard 18 species of warbler. I got 7 life birds too! I hope I can make it back before migration is over.

Highlights:
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Red-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Wood Thrush
Veery
Swainson's Thrush (anywhere from 5-10 individuals, probably more)
Gray-cheeked Thrush
3 Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow Warbler (not seen by myself)
2 Blackburnian Warbler (awesome!)
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
2 Black-throated Blue Warbler (came really close! stunning!)
Blackpoll Warbler (not seen by myself)
Northern Parula
American Redstart
Black-and-white Warbler
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Nashville Warbler (heard only by a couple birders)
Prairie Warbler (heard only by other birders)
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
possible Scarlet Tanager
Lincoln's Sparrow

Good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment