Sightings and musings of a New Jerseyan rare species of birder (that is, the young kind)
Sunday, May 9, 2010
An Unexpected Guest
There I was, innocently surveying the yard for migrants on a typical May morning, when I heard an unfamiliar voice. "Sounds like a lazy House Finch", I thought, and dismissed it for the time being. When I discovered that there were no other migrants around, I decided to reconsider. Racking my brains for warbler songs, it finally dawned on me. "MAGNOLIA WARBLER!" I almost yelled, as I struggled to contain my excitement. Instinctively, I raised my binoculars to my eyes and located the bird without much trouble. Bright yellow underparts with black streaking...distinct undertail pattern...Hoodie-like song...YES! It wasn't giving the best looks, and it was cloudy that morning, but at least I got to appreciate most of its beauty. Maggies aren't that uncommon during migration, but one in my yard is awesome! If only he could stay longer...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment